Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Be Strong



I work out 4 - 6 times a week and consider myself to be in pretty good shape.  After all, I can run 13.1 miles without dying.  However, while my cardiovascular health is great, my muscle tone leaves something to be desired.  Even though I exercise 4 - 6 times each week, I only do cardio.  My workouts typically involve running, elliptical, or swimming (only recently in preparation for my tirathlon). 

I actually wear the smallest size pants I have worn since I was in high school (you know, when I had an eating disorder).  I eat healthy and work hard to stay fit.  But, I'm not actually as fit as I think I am.  My body is flabby.  I have a pretty big gut as a result of two pregnancies. 

They were completely worth it!


My arms jiggle and my thighs still have a lot of "extra" on them. 

Please don't get me wrong.  I'm proud of my body.  I'm proud that it is able to maintain the demands I put on it each week.  I'm proud that it carried, birthed and nourished two children so well.  I'm proud of how I look and who I am.  But, I still feel like I need to do something about my muscules.  Not because I want to be smaller or because I want toned abs.  I want to start strength training because I want my body to be stronger.  Even though I can run for 13.1 miles, I still struggle to lift moderately heavy objects.  So, I'm going to make a committment to start strength training. 

I'm trying to decide what I actually want to do for strength training, but I have it narrowed down to the following three options:

Cross Fit
We don't have a cross fit center here, so I would have to find my own exercises online and create my own routine

Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer
This is the program Janetha raves about and it looks awesome!

Standard Gym weights
I used to do some strength training, and I always used the free weights and some of the resistance machines at the gym.  I'm considering doing this again.  We have a weight room at work and I could do some strength training on my lunch hour.

So, those are my three options.  I'm going to do a little more research before I decide for sure, but I don't want to take too long.  I need to start doing this soon!

I'm also going to start adding yoga to my exercise routine.  I think yoga will help me build muscle and reduce stress.  I have time early in the mornings, before the kids get up and start the day, so I think I'll start doing a half an hour of yoga each day.

So, that's the next phase in becoming healthier and stronger.  I'm so excited to start!

0 comments:

Post a Comment