Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Missing: My Mojo

I'm in a rut.  A running rut.  I'm four weeks away from my third half marathon and I'm missing my mojo.  I know it happens from time to time.  It's not the first time I've been in a rut and I know it won't be my last time, but it's still no fun.

I LOVE running!  I mean, I really love running.  I love the feeling of running and the idea of running and everything about running.  I love when I have a bad run because it makes the good runs even better.  I love training for races and pushing myself to go farther and faster, and I love leisurely runs with friends.  Quite honestly, I don't even care how far or how fast I'm running.  I don't have dreams of becoming a competitive runner, and I don't even care about constantly getting a new PR (although that is a little fun, I have to admit).  I really just like running.

So, it's particularly frustrating when I get into these ruts.  It's not even like I suddenly hate running.  I'm just apathetic about it.  I don't have the motivation to get up from my desk and go running at lunch time.  I would rather sit here and eat these



and read these



Last Sunday, instead of going out on my 11 mile run, I just wanted to stay home and do this. 



I went, and my run was OK, but I wasn't loving it as much as I normally do.

I have read enough blogs and articles to know that these phases are normal and that they pass.  I'm not worried that I will suddenly stop being a runner.  But, I want to get through this rut so that I can feel excited to run again.  So, I'm trying to be proactive.

I'm making fun, new playlists to listen to.

I'm reminding myself that I run because I can.  Then, I force myself to think about all of the people I know who want to run and cannot because of physical limitations.

I'm making deals with myself and promising myself rewards if I make it through my run.  Chocolate works wonders for this.

I'm envisioning myself finishing the half marathon feeling strong and proud.

Hopefully, all of this will work.  I'm sure I'll get my mojo back soon.  In the meantime, I'm still lacing up my shoes and running, and that's what matters.



Question:
What do you do when you're feeling unmotivated to exercise?  How do you get your mojo back?

0 comments:

Post a Comment