Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Wait...what did I agree to?!

A few months ago, in the midst of half marathon training, one of our running buddies sent an email to me and Paul asking us if we wanted to be part of a Ragnar Relay team.  I had never even heard of Ragnar, so I immediately went to the website to check it out.  For those of you who don't know, Ragnar is a 200 mile relay that is run by teams of 12 (or ultrateams of 6...I think you can probably guess what type of team I'm on :))  over the course of approximately 30 - 36 hours.  It sounded fun, so we both agreed.  Paul was especially excited and has been doing all sorts of Ragnar planning ever since.  He and the woman who sent the original invite are co-captains.  So, there is a lot of Ragnar talk at my house.

Anyway, the way the race works is that each runner gets three legs of the course to run.  The legs are varying distances and difficulty levels and occur at all hours of the day...even in the middle of the night.  We're participating in Ragnar Adirondacks.  The race actually goes through the Adirondack mountains! 



So, I knew we would have some elevation to contend with.  But, I guess I have been in denial since we registered.  Since my legs range between 5.2 miles and 6.4 miles, I haven't worried too much.  That's the distance I run on a regular basis.  It's definitely doable for me.  But, I didn't think about the difficulty level of each of my "legs." (Do you see where this is going?)

Today, Paul and Staci set out to drive the entire course.  Luckily, the starting point is only about 2 hours from where we live, and the race ends about 45 minutes from where we live.  They wanted to see what we're in for and do some planning.

While they were driving the course, Paul and I were texting.  




It looks I'm in for a tough set of runs!  I guess I better start training!

0 comments:

Post a Comment