Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

A 5K PR!

Today, Paul and I participated in a local 5K.  It was a fundraiser in memory of a young woman who died in a car accident.  The family organizes it every year and uses the money to fund a scholarship in her name.  We ran last year as well.

I have been running a bit faster the past few weeks and went into the 5K hoping to finish somewhere between 27 and 28 minutes.  Lately, I have been running an average 9:03 pace on my five mile runs, with at least two or three miles in the 8:45 - 8:59 range.  So, I knew I could do it.  But, the 5K distance is tough for me.  It usually takes me at least 2 - 3 miles to really get into the groove of running.  But, I still went into the run with a goal of getting a new PR.

This was only my third 5K.  I usually stick to the longer distances.  My first 5K was three months after I started running.  I was so proud of myself for finishing the run because I had never been a runner before.  I was so nervous about being able to run the entire time and I didn't care about my finishing time at all.  I finished in 32:16.  I was so proud of myself that day!



My second 5K was this same 5K in May 2011.  I had just completed my first half marathon a few weeks prior and was feeling much more confident as a runner.  I ran with Paul, who had just started running in January.  My goal was to get him through his first 5K and finish under 30 minutes.  We finished in 29:52.

So, what was my time for today?  26:32!  I can't believe it!  I beat my goal time.  I'm so happy about my new PR and excited to see if I can get even faster.  When I look at how far I have come since I started running in July 2010, I can't help but smile.  I spent years wishing I could be a runner and I finally became one!



It's pretty simple.  All you have to do is decide that you want something and then do whatever it takes to make it happen.  Sure, sometimes it's tough and feels almost impossible, but it can be done.  Don't believe me?  Watch this video.  If this doesn't motivate and inspire you, nothing will.


0 comments:

Post a Comment