Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Bum Ankle = No Turkey Trot

Last Thanksgiving, I ran in the Peru Turkey Trot 5K.  It was my first ever organized running event, as I had just started running in July.  I remember the nervous excitement the night before as I worried about whether I would complete the run and what it would feel like to take off running amongst the crowd of people. The run itself was short and extremely cold - the temperature that day was 12 F - but it is the run that changed me forever.  Sure, it wasn't a daunting 13.1 or 26. 2 miles, but it was still a huge accomplishment for me.  I walked away from that event knowing that I would run in more races, and it was only a couple of weeks later that I signed up for my first half marathon.  That 5K made me realize how much I love running races.




So, as I'm sure you can imagine, the Peru Turkey Trot has a special place in my heart.  I plan to run it each year.  Unfortunately, those plans were halted this year.  My bad ankle, the one I injured this summer, has been bothering me a bit lately. It hurt a lot throughout the day yesterday and into this morning.  So, with great disappointment, I decided not to run the Turkey Trot this year.  I felt so sad this morning as I looked at the clock and knew that the runners were lining up and preparing to start the race.  I know it's only one race, and I will be able to run it next year, but it just felt so sad to me.  It was my first organized run, and I have been so excited to do it again this year.  Plus, I really wanted to beat my time from last year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment